Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wikipedia now a teaching tool

Read this article from Ray Schroeder's Educational Technology blog: Once shunned by academics, Wikipedia now a teaching tool (AFP).

What I liked about Wikipedia recently, and this was also mentioned in the article, is that they now have a Featured Article page. For one's Wikipedia entry to be included here, one has to have thoroughly discussed the topic and backed up by many references.

I remember at a thesis seminar that I attended (the thesis seminar was a requirement before enrollment to thesis direction), we were told that we can site online sources except Wikipedia. But according to Jon Beasley-Murray, who was quoted in the article, Wikipedia entries seem to be academically sound. I wonder if my school will now allow its students to cite Wikipedia as reference for academic papers...

No comments: